Saturday, May 29, 2010

where is the rest of my $10 magazine?

Okay, so I'm sure many of you have heard that there are censorship laws here in Saudi Arabia. Just to give you an idea of how it plays out in real life, my recent People Magazine in which Bret Michaels says he's "lucky to be alive" has about ten pages ripped out of it. Pontificating on why these pages have been taken out is sometimes more fun than reading the magazine itself, because let's be honest, who cares about Bret Michaels?

In the section titled "Sizzling Stars of Summer", "Sexy couples, super stunts, and ripped six packs galore," I am missing two pages of scantily clad celebrities. Apparently there is such a thing as too hot for Saudi Arabia! All I get to see of Jake Gyllenhaal's presumably unsheathed body is some whispy strands of hair. To the Censor who defaced my magazine: I have a womanly entitlement to see Jake Gyllenhaal's sun-kissed muscles, and I find it appalling that you are robbing the female population here of this God given right. Keeping us apart will only bring us closer together.

Ok ladies, for those of you wondering why I bothered to pay $10 for a People magazine, let me just inform you that this was actually a thoughtful gesture brought to you by the one and only hubster. He knows I read all kinds of tabloids and sh*t back home and can't get any recent copies here - he just didn't know that the trash factor had to be much higher for me to maximize my enjoyment. Yes, I am "that woman" that wants to read about Heidi Montag's addiction to painkillers after ten plastic surgeries.

Hubster has also had copies of the Economist censored in the same manner - there are often pages missing from the magazine any time there is coverage on Saudi Arabia. My reaction? I just shrug my shoulders. This is all part of what we signed up for ;)

8 comments:

TRG said...

Why do they even bother to allow magazines in if they are gonna censor them like that? And what pray tell, do they do with all that paper they tear out...recycle it? Burn it and cause more pollution?

Orchidthief said...

ha ha I know, I know! It doesn't really bother me that much - in all honesty I just find it rather silly. It's like trying to fix a tiny leak when water is pouring in from all sides. I also feel sorry for whatever poor sod is sitting in a room ripping these pages out. They must get so bored!!

Tammy Kula said...

I agree! And the people with their markers blacking out women in swim suits on the pool toy boxes ... It seems so pointless when you can turn on the TV and see all the hair and skin you want.

TRG said...

I was thinking of them too! At first I imagined that a bearded mutawwa was ripping out the pages but then I thought naaaaah a Saudi wouldn't do that kinda work...they would employ a foreigner to do it. I'm not trying to sound racist, please excuse me.

Orchidthief said...

ha ha...you're right though... who else would be doing that job?

TRG said...

Not me, said I lol

Orchidthief said...

Not me either, said I LOL

TRG said...

lol hehehe