Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ha ha halloumi!

I discovered the best cheese here. The first time I tasted Halloumi, I thought it was God-awful. Weird texture, way too salty, I went "blech" and thought I'd put it down forever. Then I found out you're supposed to COOK it!!! I fry slices of Halloumi on medium/high heat and throw a thai red chilli in to give it a kick. With a layer of sizzling oil, you fry a minute on each side, and when you do it right, you'll have a nice crunch to the outer shell and then a soft almost-gooey texture in the centre. It tastes amazing on salads and vegetables (especially fried red/green/yellow peppers) and goes well with fennel, rosemary, mint, any strong herb. It's the cheese of the year in my books.

Oh man, I want to halloumi right now.

6 comments:

TRG said...

Sounds yummy! You know what else you could do? Season it as you like then roll it in some bread crumbs. Deep fry it. Then dip it in like ceasar salad dressing or your favorite kind of dressing. Its almost like fried mozarella sticks. I haven't tried this yet! Just giving you an idea :-)

Orchidthief said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! I LOVE that idea!!!

Unknown said...

Very proud to say Halloumi is a cypriot product! From our tiny little island, comes one of the best cheeses in the world!

Orchidthief said...

So it does...thank you Cyprus. I would boast about poutine but I'm my feelings of pride alternate with shame on that one

ahmetanildindar said...

If I am right, you can fry halloumi on a pan. Then it has another delicious taste.

misschatterbox said...

even though this is an old post.. my love of all things haloumi inspire me to write this:

Roast potatoes with S&P, diced into smallish pieces.
In a pan fry fennel, black olives and haloumi and then mix in with potatoes and add a drizzle of olive oil - BLISS!